Saturday, September 02, 2006

The End of Summer


What are you doing this Labor Day weekend?

Remember, it's the organized labor movement that brought you the weekend. That's right, God may have rested on the seventh day, but if given the opportunity, big buisness wouldn't. It was the early unions that helped institute the modern day weekend.

Work is giving an employer your time or life in exchange for currency valued and traded in the market place. In other words, work is an exchange of life for dollars. The question then becomes, is it a fair trade? Something to remember on this weekend of labor remembrance.

6 comments:

Double C said...

Sounds like you do not like your job-take more pictures.

CROW said...

That's not correct. While my job satisfaction may eb and flow, I realize that there are two scales in work. The scale of love for the work that you do and the scale of how much you are paid to do the work. Each scale moves along the other. For some, the pay is really good and they hate the work. For them, perhaps it's a good trade. For others, the scales match up with high pay and high job satisfaction. However, for many people its likely somewhere in between; decent pay, and moderate job satisfaction. It's to these folks, myself included, that the question of is it a good trade (life for money) must be revisited frequently.

Double C said...

Ask all you want, you & you alone control your on destiny…

Double C said...

on = own, sorry!

Double C said...

Hey Man-

You need to get your blog on!

Anonymous said...

I'm a believer in the whole "Work to live, don't live to work" adage - my job is okay but I'm not that into it, but the money & benefits I get in exchange for working there make it so that I can have the lifestyle I want - living in Seattle, going to shows, buying too many CDs, etc. If you your passion is also your job, you're pretty lucky. Even if you're working in your field of choice, you can still get stuck with some drudgery (for example, I'd love to have photography be my one paying job, but if I was shooting tons of weddings I would probably be pretty unhappy). Any way you look at it, there's going to be sour mixed with the sweet, which is what makes you appreciate the sweet.