Monday, November 10, 2008

Just unstuck the mystery jam in my Brother printer. It made the worst cracking sound when I attempted to print off my spin work out just minutes prior to my class today.

I note this because the printing problem has been resolved and I feel good about the "repair" which really just involved opening all the various door on the printer and then closing them.

With that said I listened to Dave Ross today. Not much to report. There was some talk about Rev. Jesse Jackson's son noting that all (paraphrasing) the black community now is reflecting on the president. It's interesting to think about this in that Jackson's comments seem absurd, but are they really? Take me for example, do my actions reflect back W? I would hope so, but really I think not. However, in the sense that there are those out there who still don't think a black politician should hold the highest office, perhaps the actions of us minions do reflect back.

That being said, having a black president is not a racial get out of jail card for anybody. Live still takes effort. Just because Obama is President, doesn't make getting in to Harvard Law any easier for anybody. And, for people who struggle with bigotry, it's still going to be an effort to learn another way of treating people.

So, the thing I find most exciting about the whole election process is that there is this sense of hope and excitement in the future of our country. It's a new feeling for most I think. For some, those who have felt the thumb of oppression in what ever form it takes, this feeling is new and possible something they have never felt. It is this feeling and energy, that must be harnessed to the struggles we all face.

Back to the printer. I know, lame comparison, but I had thought that the printer had crapped out and the struggle I faced, I was not looking forward to. In the end with a little effort, I prevailed, but that was not before I groused around the house being generally an ass.

Out

No comments: