Wednesday, November 05, 2008

American Dream

The people have spoken. In my opinion, and the numbers reflecting the vote of the people, the people have stated clearly no more. No more of the same old policy that for the last eight years hasn’t served anybody but right, religious elitists.

I listened to President Elect Barack Obama’s acceptance speech last night and I was exited as I have never been. For the last several elections, even with Clinton, the rhetoric always seemed hollow and laced with promises that never seemed to materialize for me or people like me. However, with Obama’s speech, it seemed to be more of a promise of hard work and asking all to carry the load. This idea really resonates with me, because as much as it is a politician accepting responsibility, it perhaps is a chance for the people to once again accept their responsibilities for a great society.

The idea of race is exciting. I’ll just say that there seems to be an excitement of possibility that has never existed. All manner of good can and likely will spring from simply the inspiration of last night’s election. As I sit here, pecking out these words, my mind jumps from folks (really of any race) who haven’t felt represented or connected here in the US to the world which has been watching our democracy at work. Perhaps this is the air of excitement and promise that I spoke of earlier. Perhaps it is just that people have an innate sense of true possibility.

Now on to elements of the speech that I liked: I especially liked it when Obama told Republicans that he may not have been their candidate, but he would be their president and he would work for them. I liked the relatively few promises proposed, and finally I liked his personal piece about the 106 year old woman who, in her age really represented everyone.

My impressions are amazement, relief, and satisfaction. I am amazed that this country could make history in this manner. It seems so organic, real and raw in a way that Carl Rove could have never orchestrated. I feel relief from almost two years of tension. And finally I feel satisfaction in the notion that the people have spoken and for perhaps the first time, have finally been heard.

No comments: