Friday, January 05, 2007

Blow me

I happen to be walking the streets of Seattle today in the mitts of gust, which felt like 40-50mph. Forecasters were predicting high winds and the horizontal rain soaking my pants confirmed it. Seattle was experiencing another windstorm. I wonder, thought, how it is that people actually thing an umbrella will function in these conditions? The city maintained garbage can on the corner of second and pike in front of the Nordstrom Rack was actually overflowing with busted bumbershoots. I personally saw no less that one half dozen umbrellas turn inside out in the forceful winds. One poor little old lady opened a large golf umbrella on the edge of Westlake center only to have it torn from her feeble hands by a sturdy gust. I didn't chase it down for her. However I did help another little old lady struggling to cross second while navigating the wet and wild streets with a walker. In all the wind I don't know that she heard me ask her if she needed help. That may be why she cursed me once we reached other side of the street. Oh well. I'm now home safely. I just hope my roof doesn't blow off or that I don't wake up in Kansas.

No comments: